The establishment of OIKOKIKLIOS Industrial and Commercial SA was held in March 2010 to implement recycling methods in the field of lamps and waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE). In June 2012, the company moved its headquarters to a newly built privately-owned plant, a technology-based model with energy-saving materials that perfectly conforms to the Building Energy Efficiency Regulation.
The company has insurance cover for any environmental burden outside its operating environment and restoration of the environment to the situation before the accident.
OIKOKIKLIOS Industrial and Commercial SA is the only lamp recycling plant in Greece. The company collaborates, with regard to the WEEE, with the collective alternative management system of Fotokiklosi SA, which provides the organization of collection, storage, transportation, treatment of WEEE waste with the best and most appropriate methods. The company also seeks cooperation with the other collective alternative management systems in the country. OIKOKIKLIOS Industrial and Commercial SA is collecting WEEE and scrap metal from all over Greece, according to the appropriate permits that make it responsible for all 13 regions of the country. Having developed electronic maps for collection points, it has set up its network and with its own trucks it directly serves all the collection requests assigned to it by the collaborating collective alternative management system. At the same time, it has licensed warehouses for the collected waste lamps in Northern Greece (Industrial Area of Serres) and Acharnes, where they are temporarily stored until they are sent to the processing plant in Varico Ritsona, Avlida. Recycled-recovered materials (ferrous, non-ferrous metals, plastic, glass and packaging) are available to the domestic industry for re-use.
- Decreasing waste and handling problems.
- Energy and natural resources, which are constantly taken by nature, are saved.
- Air, soil and groundwater pollution is reduced (thus, the environmental burden is reduced).
- The energy required for the construction of all the aforesaid objects is saved.
- A long-term fall (or non-increase) in product prices is achieved as no raw material is needed.
- The health of all the inhabitants of the planet is preserved and the children’s best future is ensured.
- New jobs are being created in areas of positive action to save the planet.
- A pleasant feeling and satisfaction is created to participate in improving the environment and living conditions.
- In the context of sustainable development, the operation of the activity not only does not consume primary materials, but also retrieves and exploits produced wastes which, through their recycling and reuse, enter the market as secondary products with similar and often better specifications than the primary materials. At the same time, this activity effectively contributes to the saving of a large amount of energy used for mining-transportation-industrial production and sale of raw materials.
- It is sufficient to consider that in the medium term, thousands of tons of secondary materials will be recovered from the production process of WEEE to be directed to the industrial production of new products by enabling the retrieving, recycling and re-use of waste to reduce the consumption of raw materials by achieving the main objective of the European and at the same time the National sustainable policy to meet the needs of the present without jeopardizing the ability of the future generations to meet their own needs.
-The reduction of emissions of hazardous air pollutants (phosphorus-powder) into the atmosphere, which contribute significantly to the intensification of the greenhouse effect and the phenomenon of the ozone hole.
-Eliminating the phenomenon of uncontrolled disposal of hazardous and non-hazardous waste resulting in soil, groundwater and surface water pollution.
-The reduction of energy consumption and hence the reduction of emissions of air pollutants for the production of products and the elimination of risks to human health that are consistent with the production of high-risk wastes and high polluting load.
Integrated management of lamps and WEEE in general significantly reduces environmental impacts due to their high greenhouse gas contribution and the destruction of the ozone layer, with a direct effect on the health of people.
- As a general conclusion, the nature and purpose of setting up the company, ie its ever increasing and substantial contribution to the recycling of WEEE. , is directly related to the protection of the environment. At the same time, the company, in the way it operates and the activities it develops, always in line with the existing legislation, has succeeded in greatly reducing the environmental impact that inevitably arises according to its environmental principles and objectives. However, it sets as its main objective the optimal management of these impacts, setting new objectives and programs in this direction. The main goals are presented below:
– Increase of measurement points for concentrations of gaseous pollutants (mercury)
-Finish cleaning by filtration.
-Support and optimization of the operation of the machines, therefore of the production process and simultaneous saving of energy
– Increase recovery and recycling rates.